Compare the Rivers
Rafting Tours near Yellowstone Park
We proudly run rafting trips on the Gallatin, Yellowstone and Madison rivers, which flow out of Yellowstone National Park. They are among the most beautiful and pristine waters in the lower 48 states. We have everything from technical class IV rapids, to fun splashy class II and III rapids, to scenic relaxing class I rapids. Fun for the whole family!
|Yellowstone River||Gallatin River||Madison River|
|Located: Gardiner, MT. North Entrance to Yellowstone National Park||Located: Gallatin Gateway, MT. Between Bozeman and Big Sky, North of West Yellowstone||Located: Ennis, MT. West of West Yellowstone|
|Experience: Perfect for families and first timers||Experience: Perfect for thrill seekers & families with first timers - We run multiple sections of the river||Experience: Perfect for those looking for a remote wilderness trip|
|Level: Class II-III+||Level: Class II-IV+ (water permitting)||Level: Class II-IV+ (water permitting)|
|Price: Least $$||Price: Average $$||Price: Most $$|
|River Type: Wide, deep river runs through Paradise Valley with mountain vistas of the Absorokas and Gallatin Range in the background||River Type: Small volume river runs through Gallatin Canyon of Gallatin National Forest||River Type: Wilderness scenic trip punctuated by a few great rapids. Enjoy the ride and the scenery while your guide rows the raft through the rapids|
|Other: Closest Rafting to Yellowstone National Park||Other: If you are looking for the most action packed day trip, this is it!||Other: Guided Fly Fishing trips available.|
How to Choose the Best Whitewater Rafting for your Group
Montana Whitewater offers trips on what we believe are the three best rivers near Yellowstone National Park for commercial Rafting. Let us help you choose the best trip for your group!
• Yellowstone River office is in Gardiner- right at the North Entrance of Yellowstone.
• Gallatin River office is 60 miles north of the West Entrance of Yellowstone – near Big Sky, MT.
• Madison River is near Ennis, MT. We meet our guests at the trip take-out at Warm Springs.
What is your groups comfort zone?
• The Yellowstone River is lots of fun but not extremely challenging. Great for kids, first timers, school groups and many others. You can paddle or ride along. If you are staying closer to the Yellowstone, but want more challenge, don’t forget about our small boat or inflatable kayak trips.
• The Gallatin River has options for less challenging or more challenging. The more challenging “Lower” includes the Mad mile – a legendary stretch of rapids – the longest in the area. You are expected to paddle. The less challenging stretch is known as the “Upper.” It includes fun, short class III rapids that offer a thrill for all ages.
• The Madison River has some class III rapids in the morning and an afternoon of scenic floating. Participants who are uncomfortable traveling on the class IV Kitchen Sink rapid can walk a nice trail around and watch the boats go through. This small group trip is characterized by the unique wilderness river setting.
• The Yellowstone River runs through a wide, high desert valley with grand mountain views all around. This generally means lots of warm sun, wave rapids, and the potential to view wildlife from the river. The road is nearby, but not apparent during most of the trip. View Yellowstone River Photo Gallery
• The Gallatin River winds through a rocky, narrow canyon. It has dramatic scenery with rock outcroppings and thick pine forested mountains rising directly from the shore. The road is nearby this premier stretch of whitewater.
• The Madison River is the most remote and scenic as it is a wilderness run with no roads next to the river. It runs through a narrow, rocky canyon full of wildlife and beautiful views to take in. The lunch stop is a great place to sit back and enjoy the wilderness setting.
The Yellowstone River is least expensive, the Gallatin River a little more and the Madison River is the premier trip. There are no hidden charges for wetsuits. Kids 12 and under receive a discounted price on most of our trips so the whole family can enjoy the river. Also, keep in mind that you can make a reservation ahead of time without any deposit and only a 24 hour cancellation policy. Pay when you arrive!